Local workers - Field of qualification - All industries
Field of Qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to the current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the workforce;
- The type of qualification required to enter an industry;
- The availability of jobs related to fields of qualification in the Maribyrnong City;
- The types of occupations which are available in an area or industry.
The fields of qualification held by local workers in a particular industry are likely to show the type of skills required in that industry. Large numbers of a particular field of qualification in an industry may indicate that it is a pre-requisite for that industry. The presence of fields of qualification outside the main range of qualifications used in that industry may indicate that the industry values employees of a broad educational background, or that people haven't been able to find employment in their chosen field.
Field of Qualification information should be looked at in conjunction with Level of qualification and Occupation data for a clearer picture of the skills available for the local workers in the Maribyrnong City.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers field of qualification - Summary|
|Maribyrnong City - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||998||2.33||2.60||802||2.15||2.37||+196|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||3,396||7.95||9.67||3,118||8.36||10.06||+278|
|Architecture and Building||1,441||3.37||4.61||1,041||2.79||4.57||+400|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||327||0.76||1.53||282||0.75||1.56||+45|
|Management and Commerce||6,184||14.49||15.86||5,140||13.79||14.97||+1,044|
|Society and Culture||4,704||11.02||9.60||4,060||10.89||8.93||+644|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,618||3.79||3.52||1,373||3.68||3.58||+245|
|Mixed Field Programmes||30||0.07||0.06||34||0.09||0.08||-4|
|Not stated or inadequately described||1,378||3.22||3.06||1,129||3.02||2.93||+249|
Analysis of the fields of qualifications of the All industries shows that the three largest fields of qualification were:
- Management and Commerce (6,184 people or 14.5%)
- Society and Culture (4,704 people or 11.0%)
- Health (4,100 people or 9.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 14,988 people in total or35.1% of All industries.
In comparison, Victoria employed 15.9% in Management and Commerce; 9.6% in Society and Culture and 8.5% in Health.
The major differences between the fields of qualifications of the workforce in Maribyrnong City and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Engineering and Related Technologies (8.0% compared to 9.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Society and Culture (11.0% compared to 9.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Management and Commerce (14.5% compared to 15.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Architecture and Building (3.4% compared to 4.6%)
The largest changes in fields of qualifications of the total workforce in Maribyrnong City between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Management and Commerce (+1,044.00 local workers)
- Health (+813.00 local workers)
- Society and Culture (+644.00 local workers)
- Information Technology (+549.00 local workers)