City of MelvilleEconomic profile
Skip to content

City of Melville

About the area

Name origin

Melville is named after Lord Melville, First Lord of the Admiralty, 1812-1830.

Location and boundaries

The City of Melville is located in Perth's south-west, around 8 kilometres from the Perth GPO. The City of Melville is bounded in the north by the Swan River, in the east by the Canning River and the City of Canning, in the south by the City of Cockburn, and in the west by the City of Fremantle and the Town of East Fremantle.

Included areas

The City of Melville includes the suburbs of Alfred Cove, Applecross, Ardross, Attadale, Bateman, Bicton, Booragoon, Brentwood, Bull Creek, Kardinya, Leeming (part), Melville, Mount Pleasant, Murdoch, Myaree, Palmyra, Willagee, Willetton (part) and Winthrop.

Economic region
City of Melville

Land use

The City of Melville is a predominantly residential area, with some industrial and commercial land uses. The City encompasses a total land area of about 52 square kilometres, including around 18 kilometres of river foreshore.

Transport

The City of Melville is served by the Canning Highway, the Roe Highway and the Kwinana Freeway.

Settlement history

Melville Water was named by Captain James Stirling in 1827, although settlement was minimal until the 1890s, due largely to isolation and the limitations presented by the swampy foreshore. Growth was gradual from the late 1800s to the early 1900s, reaching a population of about 2,000 in 1913. Significant development occurred in the post-war years, particularly from the 1950s. A major land reclamation project along the Swan River foreshore aided growth in the 1960s, and by 1968 the population of the City was 52,000. The population continued to increase in the 1970s and 1980s, rising to 57,000 in 1976, and then to 72,000 in 1986. The population increased at a slower rate from the 1990s, rising from about 85,000 in 1991 to about 94,000 in 2011.

v20.11.10-1.0.0