City of Melville
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of theCity of Melville's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Melville||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||5,063||10.8||16.2||5,653||11.7||16.7||-590|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,365||9.4||10.6||4,320||8.9||9.4||+45|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||6,574||14.1||13.0||7,732||16.0||14.4||-1,158|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,483||3.2||7.5||1,527||3.2||7.6||-44|
|Inadequately described or not stated||645||1.4||1.7||683||1.4||1.5||-38|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in theCity of Melville in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (14,570 people or 31.2%)
- Managers (6,926 people or 14.8%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (6,574 people or 14.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 28,070 people in total or 60.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Western Australia employed 20.5% in Professionals; 12.0% in Managers and 13.0% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of theCity of Melville and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (31.2% compared to 20.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (10.8% compared to 16.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (3.2% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (5.9% compared to 9.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in theCity of Melville decreased by 1,716 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in theCity of Melville were those employed as:
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-1,158 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-590 persons)
- Professionals (+169 persons)
- Sales Workers (-73 persons)