Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Melville - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||19,720||43.8||31.1||15,774||39.4||27.4||+3,946|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||5,120||11.4||10.9||4,614||11.5||10.8||+506|
|Certificate I and II Level||632||1.4||1.8||426||1.1||1.4||+206|
|Certificate III & IV Level||6,329||14.1||21.8||5,681||14.2||21.9||+648|
|Certificate Level, nfd||786||1.7||1.7||778||1.9||2.1||+8|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,051||2.3||2.5||1,079||2.7||2.8||-28|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Melville in 2021 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 72.4% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 25.2% had no qualifications, compared with 67.4% and 30.1% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Melville and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (43.8% compared to 31.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (14.1% compared to 21.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (25.2% compared to 30.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.4% compared to 10.9%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Melville between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,946 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+648 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+506 local workers)
- No qualification (-364 local workers)