City of Melville
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Melville - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||15,774||39.4||27.4||9,614||28.3||23.2||+6,160|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||4,614||11.5||10.8||3,584||10.6||9.8||+1,030|
|Certificate I and II Level||426||1.1||1.4||416||1.2||1.4||+10|
|Certificate III & IV Level||5,681||14.2||21.9||5,487||16.2||21.1||+194|
|Certificate Level, nfd||778||1.9||2.1||688||2.0||1.7||+90|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,079||2.7||2.8||1,365||4.0||4.0||-286|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Melville in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 68.1% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 29.3% had no qualifications, compared with 63.6% and 33.6% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Melville and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (39.4% compared to 27.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (14.2% compared to 21.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (29.3% compared to 33.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.5% compared to 10.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Melville between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+6,160 local workers)
- No qualification (-1,073 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,030 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+194 local workers)