City of Monash
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in the City of Monash than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Monash's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Monash or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Monash, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Monash||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Retail Trade%||Number||%||Retail Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||3,219||4.0||2.5||2,966||3.8||2.1||+253||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||8,860||11.0||6.8||8,950||11.4||5.7||-90||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||2,373||3.0||1.0||2,178||2.8||1.0||+195||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||596||0.7||0.7||578||0.7||0.6||+18||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||16,382||20.4||18.1||14,148||18.1||16.0||+2,234||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||6,299||7.8||4.9||5,744||7.3||4.1||+555||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||2,413||3.0||3.4||2,543||3.2||3.6||-130||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||78||0.1||0.1||32||0.0||0.0||+46||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||1,936||2.4||2.0||2,721||3.5||3.4||-785||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Monash shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (16,382 people or 20.4%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (8,860 people or 11.0%)
- Society and Culture (6,299 people or 7.8%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 31,541 people in total or 39.2% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Retail Trade employed 18.1% in Management and Commerce; 6.8% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 4.9% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of the City of Monash and Retail Trade were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (11.0% compared to 6.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Education (4.9% compared to 1.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Health (7.5% compared to 4.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Society and Culture (7.8% compared to 4.9%)
The number of resident workers in the City of Monash increased by 2,044 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Monash were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+2,234 people)
- Information Technology (+839 people)
- Health (+807 people)
- Society and Culture (+555 people)