City of Monash
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of the City of Monash’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Monash residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Monash, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Monash are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Monash||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Greater Melbourne%||Number||%||Greater Melbourne%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||207||0.3||0.6||131||0.2||0.5||+76||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||760||0.9||1.0||729||0.9||1.0||+31||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||5,504||6.8||6.5||5,244||6.7||5.9||+260||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,896||3.6||5.0||2,734||3.5||4.8||+162||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||2,002||2.5||2.2||1,976||2.5||2.3||+26||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||4,267||5.3||4.5||4,363||5.6||4.8||-96||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,479||1.8||1.7||1,016||1.3||1.5||+463||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||8,920||11.1||9.0||8,285||10.6||8.9||+635||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||3,004||3.7||3.6||2,753||3.5||3.5||+251||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,192||4.0||5.0||3,294||4.2||5.1||-102||39000||P|
|Education and Training||7,960||9.9||8.6||7,341||9.4||7.9||+619||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||9,728||12.1||12.0||8,828||11.3||11.1||+900||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,345||1.7||2.1||1,101||1.4||1.8||+244||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||3,975||4.9||4.9||1,941||2.5||2.5||+2,034||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in City of Monash in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (9,728 people or 12.1%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (8,920 people or 11.1%)
- Retail Trade (8,593 people or 10.7%)
In combination these three industries employed 27,241 people in total or 33.9% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Greater Melbourne employed 12.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.0% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; and 10.1% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Monash and Greater Melbourne were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (11.1% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (9.9% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (5.8% compared to 8.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (3.6% compared to 5.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Monash were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-2,037 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+2,034 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-1,196 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+900 resident workforce)