City of Monash
Local sales by industry measures the output of local industries that is sold locally. This includes sales to local consumers, businesses and other organisations.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, local sales data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Local sales by industry sector|
|City of Monash - Constant prices||2019/20||2014/15||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||Victoria||$m||%||Victoria||2014/15 - 2019/20|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||27.6||0.1||1.4||31.4||0.2||2.4||-3.8|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||700.8||2.9||2.9||544.8||3.0||2.9||+156.0|
|Accommodation and Food Services||471.0||2.0||2.4||360.8||2.0||2.4||+110.2|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,289.6||5.4||4.5||980.2||5.4||4.7||+309.4|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||836.1||3.5||3.1||563.5||3.1||2.5||+272.6|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,785.8||7.4||6.3||1,408.7||7.8||6.6||+377.1|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2,707.0||11.3||11.3||2,387.2||13.2||12.9||+319.8|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,491.8||10.4||8.3||1,839.8||10.2||8.0||+652.0|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,015.6||4.2||3.9||913.3||5.1||4.4||+102.3|
|Public Administration and Safety||702.7||2.9||4.0||601.1||3.3||4.0||+101.6|
|Education and Training||891.0||3.7||3.8||726.8||4.0||3.9||+164.2|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,498.3||6.2||6.5||1,029.0||5.7||5.7||+469.2|
|Arts and Recreation Services||229.3||1.0||1.3||179.8||1.0||1.2||+49.6|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions) NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. .id (informed decisions). Data are based on a 2016-17 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn more
An analysis of the local sales by industry sectors in the City of Monash in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Construction ($5,022million or 20.9%)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services ($2,707million or 11.3%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services ($2,492million or 10.4%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $10,221 million in total or 42.6% of the total local sales by total industry in the the City of Monash.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in Victoria accounted for 23.6% in Construction; 11.3% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services and 8.3% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between local sales by industries of the City of Monash and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Construction (20.9% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (10.4% compared to 8.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.1% compared to 1.4%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Financial and Insurance Services (7.4% compared to 6.3%)
The total local sales by industry in the City of Monash $increased by 5,924 million between 2014/15 and 2019/20.
The largest changes in the local sales by industries between 2014/15 and 2019/20 in the City of Monash were for:
- Construction (+$2,241 million)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$652 million)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+$469 million)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+$377 million)