City of Monash
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Monash's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Monash||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||8,364||10.4||13.1||8,926||11.4||13.9||-562|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||7,202||9.0||10.6||6,488||8.3||9.3||+714|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||11,441||14.2||13.3||12,298||15.7||14.4||-857|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||2,898||3.6||5.8||3,139||4.0||6.1||-241|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,368||1.7||1.7||1,635||2.1||2.2||-267|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Monash in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (24,444 people or 30.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (11,441 people or 14.2%)
- Managers (11,027 people or 13.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 46,912 people in total or 58.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.3% in Professionals; 13.3% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 13.5% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Monash and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (30.4% compared to 23.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (10.4% compared to 13.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (3.6% compared to 5.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (6.9% compared to 9.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Monash increased by 2,060 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Monash were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,864 persons)
- Managers (+1,150 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-857 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+714 persons)