City of Monash
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in the City of Monash than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of City of Monash's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Monash||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Retail Trade%||Number||%||Retail Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||8,364||10.4||4.4||8,926||11.4||5.2||-562||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||7,202||9.0||0.9||6,488||8.3||1.0||+714||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||11,441||14.2||7.1||12,298||15.7||7.7||-857||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||2,898||3.6||3.2||3,139||4.0||3.4||-241||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,368||1.7||0.4||1,635||2.1||0.8||-267||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in City of Monash in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (24,444 people or 30.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (11,441 people or 14.2%)
- Managers (11,027 people or 13.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 46,912 people in total or 58.3% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Retail Trade employed 9.3% in Professionals; 7.1% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 17.2% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of the City of Monash and Retail Trade were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (30.4% compared to 9.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (9.0% compared to 0.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (14.2% compared to 7.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Sales Workers (10.1% compared to 51.7%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in City of Monash increased by 2,060 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Monash were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,864 people)
- Managers (+1,150 people)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-857 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+714 people)