City of Monash
Local workers - Hours worked - All industries
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the City of Monash across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|City of Monash - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||11,445||10.8||12.0||9,985||10.1||11.5||+1,460|
|16 hours - 24 hours||10,255||9.7||10.5||8,964||9.1||9.8||+1,291|
|25 hours - 34 hours||10,903||10.3||11.2||9,031||9.1||10.3||+1,872|
|35 hours - 39 hours||21,932||20.7||18.7||19,371||19.6||17.8||+2,561|
|41 hours - 48 hours||9,995||9.4||9.2||10,802||10.9||10.4||-807|
|49 hours or more||13,900||13.1||13.6||14,280||14.4||15.3||-380|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in the City of Monash in 2016 compared to Victoria within the City of Monash shows that there was a lower proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.7% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 64.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.0% respectively for Victoria within the City of Monash.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in the City of Monash and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.8% compared to 12.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (10.3% compared to 11.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.7% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (21.2% compared to 19.5%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in the City of Monash between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,561 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,872 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,460 local workers)
- 40 hours (+1,359 local workers)