In the City of Monash, the workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to Victoria.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Monash - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||43,210||40.8||33.3||34,930||35.3||28.6||+8,280|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||13,015||12.3||11.5||11,600||11.7||10.4||+1,415|
|Certificate I and II Level||834||0.8||1.0||916||0.9||1.1||-82|
|Certificate III & IV Level||15,622||14.8||18.1||14,845||15.0||17.9||+777|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,699||1.6||1.8||1,460||1.5||1.5||+239|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,659||2.5||2.8||3,759||3.8||4.0||-1,100|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Monash in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 70.3% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 27.2% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 31.6% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Monash and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (40.8% compared to 33.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (27.2% compared to 31.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (14.8% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.3% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Monash between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+8,280 local workers)
- No qualification (-2,720 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,415 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+777 local workers)