City of Monash
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In the City of Monash, the workforce has a lower proportion with tertiary qualifications compared to the Education and Training workforce.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, City of Monash in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Monash - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Education and Training %||Number||%||Education and Training %||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||43,210||40.8||72.6||34,930||35.3||68.9||+8,280||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||13,015||12.3||8.5||11,600||11.7||9.5||+1,415||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||834||0.8||0.4||916||0.9||0.6||-82||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||15,622||14.8||4.5||14,845||15.0||4.9||+777||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,699||1.6||0.9||1,460||1.5||0.8||+239||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,659||2.5||1.3||3,759||3.8||1.9||-1,100||25009|
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Monash in 2016 compared to the Education and Training workforce within City of Monash shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 55.5% of the held educational qualifications, and 27.2% had no qualifications, compared with 82.4% and 11.9% respectively for the Education and Training workforce within City of Monash.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Monash and the Education and Training workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualifications (27.2% compared to 11.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Levels (14.8% compared to 4.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (12.3% compared to 8.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (40.8% compared to 72.6%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Monash between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+8,280 local workers)
- No qualifications (-2,720 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+1,415 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Levels (+777 local workers)