In the City of Monash, 28.4% of workers were Professionals, compared to 23.2% in Victoria.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Monash will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Monash;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Monash - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||12,971||12.3||13.1||12,599||12.7||13.8||+372|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||9,129||8.6||10.6||7,376||7.5||9.3||+1,753|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||15,993||15.1||13.3||16,116||16.3||14.4||-123|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||5,436||5.1||5.8||5,912||6.0||6.1||-476|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,765||1.7||1.7||2,113||2.1||2.2||-348|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Monash in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (30,044 local workers or 28.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (15,993 local workers or 15.1%)
- Managers (14,628 local workers or 13.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 60,665 people in total or 57.3% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.2% as Professionals; 13.3% as Clerical and Administrative Workers and 13.5% as Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Monash and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (28.4% compared to 23.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (6.5% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (8.6% compared to 10.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (15.1% compared to 13.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Monash between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+3,067 local workers)
- Managers (+1,845 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,753 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-476 local workers)