City of Moreland
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in the City of Moreland than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Moreland's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Moreland or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Moreland, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Moreland||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services%||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||2,918||3.6||3.5||2,366||3.4||3.1||+552||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||6,610||8.2||22.6||5,992||8.6||23.3||+618||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||3,305||4.1||0.8||2,470||3.5||1.6||+835||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||862||1.1||3.1||719||1.0||2.9||+143||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||11,756||14.6||17.7||9,486||13.6||21.1||+2,270||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||9,608||12.0||9.5||7,382||10.6||5.7||+2,226||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||2,601||3.2||2.7||2,520||3.6||1.2||+81||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||93||0.1||0.0||44||0.1||0.0||+49||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||2,665||3.3||1.7||2,857||4.1||2.5||-192||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Moreland shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (11,756 people or 14.6%)
- Society and Culture (9,608 people or 12.0%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (6,610 people or 8.2%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 27,974 people in total or 34.8% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services employed 17.7% in Management and Commerce; 9.5% in Society and Culture; and 22.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of the City of Moreland and Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Health (6.9% compared to 1.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Education (5.9% compared to 1.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Creative Arts (7.2% compared to 3.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (8.2% compared to 22.6%)
The number of resident workers in the City of Moreland increased by 10,491 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Moreland were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+2,270 people)
- Society and Culture (+2,226 people)
- Creative Arts (+1,774 people)
- Health (+1,172 people)