42.6% of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Moreland work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Moreland's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Moreland depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Moreland - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,503||10.6||4.2||7,121||10.2||4.8||+1,382|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,749||10.9||8.4||7,184||10.3||7.6||+1,565|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,061||11.3||10.2||6,981||10.0||8.3||+2,080|
|35 hours - 39 hours||15,802||19.7||28.7||13,402||19.2||29.6||+2,400|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,825||9.7||12.4||7,131||10.2||12.9||+694|
|49 hours or more||10,073||12.5||9.3||9,224||13.2||8.8||+849|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Moreland's resident workers in 2016 compared to Public Administration and Safety shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.8% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 27.5% and 71.9% respectively for Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Moreland and the Public Administration and Safety workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.6% compared to 4.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.7% compared to 28.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.7% compared to 12.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (12.5% compared to 9.3%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Moreland increased by 5947 people (13.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Moreland between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,400 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+2,080 persons)
- 40 hours (+2,004 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,565 persons)