42.6% of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Moreland work 40 or more hours, compared to 42.4% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Moreland's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Moreland depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Moreland - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,503||10.6||12.0||7,121||10.2||11.4||+1,382|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,749||10.9||10.5||7,184||10.3||9.7||+1,565|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,061||11.3||11.2||6,981||10.0||10.1||+2,080|
|35 hours - 39 hours||15,802||19.7||18.7||13,402||19.2||17.6||+2,400|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,825||9.7||9.2||7,131||10.2||10.2||+694|
|49 hours or more||10,073||12.5||13.7||9,224||13.2||15.2||+849|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Moreland's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.8% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Moreland and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.6% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.7% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (20.3% compared to 19.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (12.5% compared to 13.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Moreland increased by 5947 people (13.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Moreland between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,400 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+2,080 persons)
- 40 hours (+2,004 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,565 persons)