City of Moreland
Resident workers - Hours worked
42.6% of the resident workers in the City of Moreland work 40 or more hours, compared to 52.5% in Wholesale Trade.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Moreland's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Moreland depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Moreland||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,503||10.6||5.6||7,121||10.2||6.3||+1,382||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,749||10.9||6.4||7,184||10.3||8.0||+1,565||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,061||11.3||7.5||6,981||10.0||6.8||+2,080||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||15,802||19.7||24.6||13,402||19.2||22.5||+2,400||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,825||9.7||11.4||7,131||10.2||12.4||+694||22007|
|49 hours or more||10,073||12.5||14.8||9,224||13.2||14.8||+849||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Moreland's resident workers in 2016 compared to Wholesale Trade shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.8% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 22.1% and 77.1% respectively for Wholesale Trade.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Moreland and Wholesale Trade were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.6% compared to 5.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (10.9% compared to 6.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (20.3% compared to 26.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.7% compared to 24.6%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Moreland increased by 5,947 people (13.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Moreland between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,400 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+2,080 people)
- 40 hours (+2,004 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,565 people)