Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of the City of Moreland's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Moreland residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Moreland, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Moreland are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Moreland - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||198||0.2||2.2||108||0.1||2.1||+90|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||750||0.9||1.1||641||0.9||1.0||+109|
|Accommodation and Food Services||6,406||8.0||6.6||4,905||6.6||5.8||+1,501|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||3,899||4.9||4.8||3,492||4.7||4.4||+407|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||2,320||2.9||1.9||2,038||2.7||1.9||+282|
|Financial and Insurance Services||3,612||4.5||3.9||3,481||4.7||3.9||+131|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,009||1.3||1.6||804||1.1||1.3||+205|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||8,403||10.5||7.9||6,796||9.2||7.3||+1,607|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,861||3.6||3.4||2,589||3.5||3.1||+272|
|Public Administration and Safety||5,200||6.5||5.3||4,705||6.3||5.0||+495|
|Education and Training||8,980||11.2||8.6||7,077||9.5||7.6||+1,903|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||9,452||11.8||12.5||7,991||10.8||10.9||+1,461|
|Arts and Recreation Services||2,325||2.9||1.9||1,715||2.3||1.6||+610|
|Industry not classified||3,399||4.2||4.7||1,705||2.3||2.3||+1,694|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Moreland in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (9,452 people or 11.8%)
- Education and Training (8,980 people or 11.2%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (8,403 people or 10.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 26,835 people in total or 33.4% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Victoria employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.6% in Education and Training and 7.9% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Moreland and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (11.2% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (5.3% compared to 7.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (10.5% compared to 7.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.2% compared to 2.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Moreland were for those employed in:
- Education and Training (+1,903 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+1,694 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+1,607 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+1,501 resident workforce)