City of Moreland
Resident workers - Qualifications
71.8% of the resident workers in the City of Moreland have qualifications, compared to 51.5% for Accommodation and Food Services.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for the City of Moreland's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income, Occupation and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of City of Moreland's local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|City of Moreland||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||37,654||46.9||24.8||27,966||40.0||18.4||+9,688||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||8,717||10.8||13.3||7,564||10.8||15.3||+1,153||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||546||0.7||0.8||560||0.8||1.0||-14||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||9,686||12.1||11.4||8,920||12.8||12.9||+766||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,110||1.4||1.0||917||1.3||1.4||+193||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,927||2.4||2.1||2,521||3.6||4.2||-594||25009|
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers in the City of Moreland in 2016 compared to Accommodation and Food Services shows that there was a higher proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 71.8% of the resident workers held educational qualifications, and 25.8% had no qualifications, compared with 51.5% and 46.5% respectively for Accommodation and Food Services.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers of the City of Moreland and Accommodation and Food Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (46.9% compared to 24.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with No qualifications (25.8% compared to 46.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (10.8% compared to 13.3%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers in the City of Moreland between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+9,688 people )
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+1,153 people )
- Certificate III & IV Levels (+766 people )
- No qualifications (-699 people )