Mosman Council area
About the area
ABS ERP 2017
Health Care and Social Assistance
The Mosman Council area is named after Archibald Mossman, who set up a whaling station in the area.
Location and boundaries
The Mosman Council area is located in Sydney's northern suburbs - about 6 kilometres from the Sydney GPO. The Mosman Council area is bounded by the Middle Harbour in the north and north-east, Port Jackson in the east and south, and the North Sydney Council area in the west.
The Mosman Council area is made up entirely of the suburb of Mosman.
The Mosman Council area is predominantly a residential area, but also has some military use in the eastern section, significant bushlands and beaches along the harbours, and substantial commercial areas. The main commercial areas are from Spit Junction to Mosman Junction, along Military Road. The Council area encompasses a total land area of about 9 square kilometres.
European settlement of the area dates from 1802 when a harbour defence battery was built at Georges Head, although development was slow due to rugged terrain and limited access. A whaling station was established in Mosman Bay in the 1830s, with the whaling industry declining in the 1840s and industries such as candle making and wool-washing taking over. Until the 1880s subdivisions were largely unsuccessful and land was used mainly for farming and orcharding. Some growth occurred in the 1880s and 1890s, aided by new roads, regular ferry services and the establishment of artists' camps. The population in 1893 was 1,600. Considerable growth took place in the interwar period, spurred by improvements in transport and access. The most significant development occurred in the post-war years, especially during the 1960s. The population was relatively stable between 1991 and 2006 at around 25,000 people, and then increased gradually to about 28,000 people in 2016.
The original inhabitants of the Mosman Council area were the Birrabirragal, Boregal, Cammeraygal and Gorualgal Aboriginal clans.