District Council of Mount Barker
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce in the District Council of Mount Barker than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the District Council of Mount Barker's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the District Council of Mount Barker or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the District Council of Mount Barker, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|District Council of Mount Barker - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||356||2.2||2.1||273||1.8||1.9||+83|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||1,724||10.5||10.9||1,613||10.7||10.9||+111|
|Architecture and Building||664||4.1||3.6||552||3.6||3.3||+112|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||470||2.9||1.9||403||2.7||1.7||+67|
|Management and Commerce||2,020||12.3||12.9||1,639||10.8||11.4||+381|
|Society and Culture||1,466||8.9||8.9||1,211||8.0||7.4||+255|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||678||4.1||3.6||548||3.6||3.4||+130|
|Mixed Field Programmes||16||0.1||0.1||8||0.1||0.1||+8|
|Not stated or inadequately described||455||2.8||2.5||420||2.8||3.3||+35|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the District Council of Mount Barker shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (2,020 people or 12.3%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (1,724 people or 10.5%)
- Society and Culture (1,466 people or 8.9%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 5,210 people in total or 31.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 12.9% in Management and Commerce; 10.9% in Engineering and Related Technologies and 8.9% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the District Council of Mount Barker and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (2.9% compared to 1.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (6.0% compared to 5.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (12.3% compared to 12.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (4.1% compared to 3.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the District Council of Mount Barker increased by 1,243 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the District Council of Mount Barker was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+381 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+255 resident workers)
- Health (+230 resident workers)
- Education (+157 resident workers)