Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of the District Council of Mount Barker's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the District Council of Mount Barker residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the District Council of Mount Barker, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the District Council of Mount Barker are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|District Council of Mount Barker - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||576||3.5||4.0||535||3.4||3.7||+41|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||222||1.4||1.2||215||1.4||1.3||+7|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,043||6.4||6.7||869||5.5||5.9||+174|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||579||3.5||4.1||579||3.7||3.9||--|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||196||1.2||1.3||222||1.4||1.4||-26|
|Financial and Insurance Services||437||2.7||2.7||406||2.6||2.8||+31|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||253||1.5||1.3||201||1.3||1.2||+52|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||983||6.0||5.6||919||5.8||5.2||+64|
|Administrative and Support Services||610||3.7||3.6||507||3.2||3.2||+103|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,205||7.4||7.1||1,205||7.6||6.7||--|
|Education and Training||1,507||9.2||8.6||1,230||7.8||7.5||+277|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||2,209||13.5||14.8||1,900||12.0||12.8||+309|
|Arts and Recreation Services||238||1.5||1.4||202||1.3||1.2||+36|
|Industry not classified||508||3.1||3.3||239||1.5||1.8||+269|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the District Council of Mount Barker in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (2,209 people or 13.5%)
- Retail Trade (1,850 people or 11.3%)
- Education and Training (1,507 people or 9.2%)
In combination these three industries employed 5,566 people in total or 34.0% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, South Australia employed 14.8% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.7% in Retail Trade and 8.6% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the District Council of Mount Barker and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (13.5% compared to 14.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (6.9% compared to 8.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (8.6% compared to 7.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (3.5% compared to 4.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the District Council of Mount Barker were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+309 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+277 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+269 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+174 resident workforce)