The King Island Council area is located to the north-west of Tasmania, about 80-90 kilometres from both Victoria and Tasmania. The King Island Council area is surrounded by Bass Strait.
The King Island Council area includes the localities of Bungaree, Currie, Egg Lagoon, Grassy, Loorana, Lymwood, Naracoopa, Nugara, Pearshape, Pegarah, Reekara, Sea Elephant, Surprise Bay, Wickham, Yambacoona and Yarra Creek.
The King Island Council area is predominantly rural, with three small townships. About half of the population live in the township of Currie, with two smaller townships at Grassy and Naracoopa. Rural land is used largely for agriculture (particularly beef and dairy farming), with fishing, kelp harvesting and tourism also being important industries. The King Island Council area encompasses a total land area of about 1,100 square kilometres.
King Island is named after Governor Philip Gidley King of New South Wales.
King Island was first sighted in 1797, with the first land survey in 1802. Land was leased in the 1830s and used mainly used for grazing, with timber cutting from the 1860s. Population was minimal until 1888 when the Island was opened for settlement and land selection, with growth during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Scheelite mining took place at Grassy from 1904 until 1990, prompting population growth, with the township of Grassy developing to house the miners. The Island had a population of nearly 800 in 1910. During the early 1900s farming continued to grow, particularly dairy farming. Population growth occurred during the post-war years, largely due to soldier settlement schemes. By 1954 the population had increased to about 2,500, and then to 2,800 by 1961. Mining took place at Naracoopa from 1968 till 1977, with kelp harvesting developing as an industry in Currie from 1974. The population declined from the 1970s, falling to about 2,000 in 1986. The population continued to gradually decline from the early 1990s, falling from about 1,800 in 1991 to less than 1,600 in 2011.
Major features of the Council area include Lavinia State Reserve, Seal Rocks State Reserve (including Calcified Forest), Reid Rocks Nature Reserve, various beaches, Cape Wickham Lighthouse, Currie Lighthouse, Kentford Forest Conservation Area, King Island Dairy, the penguin rookery at Grassy, Cape Wickham Golf Course, King Island Golf & Bowling Club, Ocean Dunes Golf Course, King island Hospital and Health Centre, Huxley Hill Wind Farm, King Island Historical Museum, King Island Recreation Complex, numerous shipwrecks, Ballarat Clarendon College Camp and King Island District High School.
The King Island Council area is served by King Island Airport, the Port of Grassy and the Port of Currie.
DISCLAIMER: While all due care has been taken to ensure that the content of this website is accurate and current, there may be errors or omissions in it and no legal responsibility is accepted for the information and opinions in this website.
ABS Data and the copyright in the ABS Data remains the property of the Australian Bureau of Statistics. The copyright in the way .id has modified, transformed or reconfigured the ABS Data as published on this website remains the property of .id. ABS Data can be accessed from the Australian Bureau of Statistics at www.abs.gov.au. ABS data can be used under license - terms published on ABS website. firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries or wish to distribute any ABS data.