Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the Murchison Area than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Murchison Area's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Murchison Area or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Murchison Area, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Arts and Recreation Services%||Number||%||Arts and Recreation Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||113||1.0||0.0||112||0.9||0.0||+1||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||1,486||13.2||7.0||1,646||13.5||14.0||-160||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||430||3.8||0.0||441||3.6||0.0||-11||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||469||4.2||15.1||386||3.2||7.0||+83||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||917||8.2||12.8||841||6.9||14.0||+76||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||733||6.5||4.7||623||5.1||0.0||+110||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||500||4.4||0.0||452||3.7||0.0||+48||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||5||0.0||0.0||3||0.0||0.0||+2||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||399||3.5||0.0||460||3.8||7.0||-61||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Murchison Area shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (1,486 people or 13.2%)
- Management and Commerce (917 people or 8.2%)
- Society and Culture (733 people or 6.5%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 3,136 people in total or 27.9% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Arts and Recreation Services employed 7.0% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 12.8% in Management and Commerce; and 4.7% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of the Murchison Area and Arts and Recreation Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (13.2% compared to 7.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Health (5.6% compared to 0.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Creative Arts (0.8% compared to 14.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (4.2% compared to 15.1%)
The number of resident workers in the Murchison Area decreased by 946 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Murchison Area were for those qualified in:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (-160 people)
- Society and Culture (+110 people)
- Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (+83 people)
- Management and Commerce (+76 people)