Resident workers - Hours worked
41.8% of the resident workers in the Murchison Area work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Tasmania.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Murchison Area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Murchison Area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,423||12.6||13.2||1,444||11.9||12.5||-21||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,224||10.9||11.1||1,137||9.3||10.7||+87||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,316||11.7||13.3||1,316||10.8||11.9||0||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,831||16.2||19.7||1,849||15.2||19.2||-18||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,065||9.5||8.7||1,235||10.1||9.5||-170||22007|
|49 hours or more||2,034||18.1||12.5||2,408||19.8||13.2||-374||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Murchison Area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 40.0% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 58.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.0% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Murchison Area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (18.1% compared to 12.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.2% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (11.7% compared to 13.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.3% compared to 15.5%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Murchison Area decreased by 800 people (10.9%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Murchison Area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-374 people)
- 40 hours (-238 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-170 people)
- None (-102 people)