Resident workers - Industry
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing employs more of the Murchison Area’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Murchison Area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Murchison Area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Murchison Area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,649||14.7||5.3||1,476||12.1||4.8||+173||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||91||0.8||1.6||116||1.0||1.7||-25||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||784||7.0||7.6||891||7.3||7.3||-107||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||495||4.4||4.2||528||4.3||4.3||-33||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||41||0.4||1.4||57||0.5||1.5||-16||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||114||1.0||2.1||142||1.2||2.4||-28||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||94||0.8||1.2||101||0.8||1.3||-7||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||272||2.4||4.7||290||2.4||4.7||-18||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||335||3.0||3.0||310||2.5||2.7||+25||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||484||4.3||7.8||613||5.0||9.0||-129||39000||P|
|Education and Training||882||7.9||9.3||889||7.3||9.0||-7||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,154||10.3||14.2||1,042||8.6||12.0||+112||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||84||0.7||1.9||49||0.4||1.6||+35||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||427||3.8||3.4||195||1.6||2.0||+232||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Murchison Area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (1,649 people or 14.7%)
- Manufacturing (1,239 people or 11.0%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (1,154 people or 10.3%)
In combination these three industries employed 4,042 people in total or 36.0% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Tasmania employed 5.3% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 6.9% in Manufacturing; and 14.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Murchison Area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (14.7% compared to 5.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (6.2% compared to 1.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (11.0% compared to 6.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (10.3% compared to 14.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Murchison Area were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-385 resident workforce)
- Mining (-301 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+232 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-182 resident workforce)