West Coast Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers labourers in West Coast Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Murchison Area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|West Coast Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||251||16.6||14.0||349||17.4||14.8||-98||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||167||11.1||12.4||207||10.3||11.1||-40||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||119||7.9||13.0||166||8.3||13.8||-47||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||224||14.8||6.4||432||21.5||6.7||-208||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||40||2.6||1.7||32||1.6||1.5||+8||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in West Coast Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (267 people or 17.7%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (251 people or 16.6%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (224 people or 14.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 742 people in total or 49.1% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Tasmania employed 11.6% in Labourers; 14.0% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 6.4% in Machinery Operators And Drivers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of West Coast Council area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (14.8% compared to 6.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (17.7% compared to 11.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (10.1% compared to 18.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (7.9% compared to 13.0%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in West Coast Council area decreased by 500 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in West Coast Council area were for those employed as:
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-208 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-98 people)
- Labourers (-59 people)