In the Murchison Area, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Tasmania.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Murchison Area - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||1,128||11.2||22.6||1,039||9.6||19.8||+89|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||771||7.6||9.2||675||6.2||8.2||+96|
|Certificate I and II Level||201||2.0||1.8||211||2.0||1.8||-10|
|Certificate III & IV Level||2,942||29.1||24.0||2,953||27.3||23.1||-11|
|Certificate Level, nfd||274||2.7||2.3||158||1.5||1.4||+116|
|Inadequately described or not stated||384||3.8||2.9||477||4.4||4.1||-93|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Murchison Area in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 52.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 43.6% had no qualifications, compared with 59.9% and 37.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the Murchison Area and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (11.2% compared to 22.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (43.6% compared to 37.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (29.1% compared to 24.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (7.6% compared to 9.2%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the Murchison Area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-893 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+116 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+96 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+89 local workers)