Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Shire of Murray's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Shire of Murray||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,553||21.1||15.3||1,300||20.3||16.2||+253|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||874||11.9||11.8||654||10.2||10.6||+220|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||698||9.5||12.1||646||10.1||13.0||+52|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,055||14.3||7.7||906||14.1||7.5||+149|
|Inadequately described or not stated||134||1.8||1.7||142||2.2||1.7||-8|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Shire of Murray in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,553 people or 21.1%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (1,055 people or 14.3%)
- Labourers (879 people or 11.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 3,487 people in total or 47.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Western Australia employed 15.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 7.7% in Machinery Operators And Drivers and 9.4% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Shire of Murray and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (10.7% compared to 22.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (14.3% compared to 7.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (21.1% compared to 15.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (9.5% compared to 12.1%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Shire of Murray increased by 951 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in Shire of Murray were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+253 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+220 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+149 persons)
- Professionals (+108 persons)