Northern Beaches Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
48.8% of the resident workers in the Northern Beaches Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Northern Beaches Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Northern Beaches Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Northern Beaches Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||15,152||11.7||10.8||13,675||11.2||10.4||+1,477||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||14,198||10.9||10.4||12,712||10.5||9.7||+1,486||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||13,309||10.3||10.5||11,908||9.8||9.8||+1,401||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||17,941||13.8||19.1||16,137||13.3||18.2||+1,804||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||13,032||10.0||9.1||13,180||10.8||10.0||-148||22007|
|49 hours or more||23,787||18.3||14.9||23,787||19.6||16.4||0||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Northern Beaches Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a similar proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.9% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Northern Beaches Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (18.3% compared to 14.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (10.0% compared to 9.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.7% compared to 10.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (13.8% compared to 19.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Northern Beaches Council area increased by 4,440 people (5.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Northern Beaches Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+2,784 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,804 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,486 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,477 people)