West Tamar Council area
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the West Tamar Council area than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the West Tamar Council area's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the West Tamar Council area or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the West Tamar Council area, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|West Tamar Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||165||1.7||2.0||173||1.7||1.8||-8|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||1,190||12.1||10.1||1,229||12.4||10.3||-39|
|Architecture and Building||504||5.1||4.7||495||5.0||4.5||+9|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||236||2.4||2.4||211||2.1||2.2||+25|
|Management and Commerce||1,082||11.0||11.1||1,020||10.3||10.1||+62|
|Society and Culture||747||7.6||8.7||615||6.2||7.3||+132|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||403||4.1||4.3||356||3.6||3.9||+47|
|Mixed Field Programmes||3||0.0||0.1||6||0.1||0.0||-3|
|Not stated or inadequately described||291||3.0||2.9||307||3.1||3.5||-16|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the West Tamar Council area shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (1,190 people or 12.1%)
- Management and Commerce (1,082 people or 11.0%)
- Health (861 people or 8.7%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 3,133 people in total or 31.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Tasmania employed 10.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 11.1% in Management and Commerce and 7.5% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the West Tamar Council area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (12.1% compared to 10.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (7.4% compared to 5.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (8.7% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (7.6% compared to 8.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the West Tamar Council area decreased by 73 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the West Tamar Council area was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+132 resident workers)
- Health (+86 resident workers)
- Education (+83 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+62 resident workers)