Northern Tasmania Region
Resident workers - Hours worked
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Northern Tasmania Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Northern Tasmania Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Northern Tasmania Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,818||13.4||13.2||7,632||12.8||12.5||+186|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,605||11.3||11.1||6,489||10.9||10.7||+116|
|25 hours - 34 hours||7,784||13.3||13.3||7,045||11.8||11.9||+739|
|35 hours - 39 hours||11,228||19.2||19.7||11,094||18.6||19.2||+134|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,010||8.6||8.7||5,591||9.4||9.5||-581|
|49 hours or more||7,592||13.0||12.5||8,334||13.9||13.2||-742|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Northern Tasmania Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 42.3% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 55.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.0% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the Northern Tasmania Region and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.3% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.2% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.1% compared to 15.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (13.0% compared to 12.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Northern Tasmania Region decreased by 1988 people (-5.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the Northern Tasmania Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-799 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-742 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+739 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-581 persons)