19.6% of the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) in the City of Launceston work 40 or more hours, compared to 22.3% in Tasmania.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Launceston's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Launceston depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Northern Tasmania Region - Accommodation and Food Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||805||34.2||33.8||783||33.1||31.5||+22|
|16 hours - 24 hours||363||15.4||14.7||339||14.4||14.5||+24|
|25 hours - 34 hours||337||14.3||13.2||291||12.3||13.0||+46|
|35 hours - 39 hours||268||11.4||10.6||244||10.3||10.5||+24|
|41 hours - 48 hours||124||5.3||5.2||129||5.5||5.4||-5|
|49 hours or more||209||8.9||10.1||243||10.3||11.0||-34|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Launceston's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 67.6% of the resident workers in Accommodation and Food Services worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 31.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 65.6% and 32.9% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) of the City of Launceston and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (14.3% compared to 13.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (11.4% compared to 10.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (5.4% compared to 7.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (8.9% compared to 10.1%)
The number of the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Launceston decreased by 65 people (-8.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) in the City of Launceston between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-50 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+46 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-34 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+24 persons)