City of Launceston
Resident workers - Hours worked
85.0% of the resident workers (Mining) in City of Launceston work 40 or more hours, compared to 77.0% in Tasmania.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Launceston's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Launceston depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Launceston||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||0||0.0||2.3||5||2.9||2.1||-5||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||0||0.0||2.5||3||1.7||2.6||-3||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||0||0.0||2.7||0||0.0||2.2||0||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||5||4.4||6.5||11||6.4||5.1||-6||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||19||16.8||24.7||26||15.1||23.1||-7||22007|
|49 hours or more||62||54.9||41.3||105||61.0||47.4||-43||22008|
The Northern Tasmania region includes the following 8 LGAs; Break O'Day (M), Dorset (M), Flinders (M), George Town (M), Launceston (C), Meander Valley (M), Northern Midlands (M) & West Tamar (M).
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by City of Launceston's resident workers (Mining) in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 10.6% of the resident workers (Mining) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 89.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 14.8% and 83.5% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Mining) of City of Launceston and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked 49 hours or more (54.9% compared to 41.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked None (10.6% compared to 7.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked 41 hours - 48 hours (16.8% compared to 24.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked 25 hours - 34 hours (0.0% compared to 2.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Mining) working full-time (35 hours or more) in City of Launceston decreased by 51 people (33.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Mining) in City of Launceston between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-43 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-7 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-6 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (-5 people)