Break O'Day Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
33.0% of the resident workers in Break O'Day Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Tasmania.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Break O'Day Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Break O'Day Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Break O'Day Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||350||18.2||13.2||320||15.8||12.5||+30||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||269||14.0||11.1||271||13.4||10.7||-2||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||276||14.3||13.3||257||12.7||11.9||+19||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||257||13.3||19.7||265||13.1||19.2||-8||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||139||7.2||8.7||158||7.8||9.5||-19||22007|
|49 hours or more||249||12.9||12.5||293||14.5||13.2||-44||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Break O'Day Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 51.9% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 46.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.0% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Break O'Day Council area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (18.2% compared to 13.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (14.0% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (13.3% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (12.8% compared to 15.5%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Break O'Day Council area decreased by 85 people (8.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Break O'Day Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- None (-53 people)
- 49 hours or more (-44 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+30 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+19 people)