Dorset Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
42.6% of the resident workers in Dorset Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Tasmania.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Dorset Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Dorset Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Dorset Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||375||14.6||13.2||361||13.5||12.5||+14||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||250||9.7||11.1||286||10.7||10.7||-36||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||297||11.6||13.3||267||10.0||11.9||+30||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||356||13.9||19.7||436||16.3||19.2||-80||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||208||8.1||8.7||213||8.0||9.5||-5||22007|
|49 hours or more||579||22.5||12.5||594||22.3||13.2||-15||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Dorset Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a similar proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 40.9% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 56.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.0% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Dorset Council area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (22.5% compared to 12.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (13.9% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (12.0% compared to 15.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (11.6% compared to 13.3%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Dorset Council area decreased by 109 people (7.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Dorset Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-80 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (-36 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+30 people)
- 49 hours or more (-15 people)