Resident workers - Hours worked
40.8% of the resident workers in Flinders Council work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Tasmania.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Flinders Council's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Flinders Council depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||65||15.1||13.2||47||11.8||12.5||+18||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||35||8.1||11.1||47||11.8||10.7||-12||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||68||15.8||13.3||47||11.8||11.9||+21||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||52||12.1||19.7||46||11.5||19.2||+6||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||35||8.1||8.7||35||8.8||9.5||0||22007|
|49 hours or more||72||16.7||12.5||73||18.3||13.2||-1||22008|
The Northern Tasmania region includes the following 8 LGAs; Break O'Day (M), Dorset (M), Flinders (M), George Town (M), Launceston (C), Meander Valley (M), Northern Midlands (M) & West Tamar (M).
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Flinders Council's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 43.2% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 52.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.0% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Flinders Council and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (16.7% compared to 12.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (15.8% compared to 13.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (12.1% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.1% compared to 11.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Flinders Council decreased by 3 people (1.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Flinders Council between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+21 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+18 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (-12 people)
- 40 hours (-8 people)