Northern Midlands Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
38.5% of the resident workers in Northern Midlands Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Tasmania.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Northern Midlands Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Northern Midlands Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Northern Midlands Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||658||12.0||13.2||617||11.4||12.5||+41||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||589||10.7||11.1||580||10.7||10.7||+9||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||718||13.1||13.3||654||12.1||11.9||+64||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,092||19.9||19.7||1,002||18.6||19.2||+90||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||454||8.3||8.7||477||8.8||9.5||-23||22007|
|49 hours or more||787||14.3||12.5||842||15.6||13.2||-55||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Northern Midlands Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 40.0% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 58.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.0% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Northern Midlands Council area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.3% compared to 12.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (12.0% compared to 13.2%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Northern Midlands Council area increased by 6 people (0.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Northern Midlands Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+90 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+64 people)
- 49 hours or more (-55 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+41 people)