Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing employs more of the Flinders Council's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Flinders Council residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Flinders Council, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Flinders Council are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Flinders Council - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||105||24.6||5.3||99||23.6||4.5||+6|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||17||4.0||1.6||9||2.1||1.6||+8|
|Accommodation and Food Services||29||6.8||7.6||20||4.8||6.8||+9|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||23||5.4||4.2||23||5.5||4.0||--|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||7||1.6||1.4||0||0||1.4||+7|
|Financial and Insurance Services||0||0||2.1||0||0||2.3||--|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||5||1.2||1.2||0||0||1.2||+5|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||7||1.6||4.7||8||1.9||4.4||-1|
|Administrative and Support Services||20||4.7||3.0||11||2.6||2.5||+9|
|Public Administration and Safety||39||9.2||7.8||43||10.3||8.4||-4|
|Education and Training||28||6.6||9.3||24||5.7||8.4||+4|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||40||9.4||14.2||37||8.8||11.2||+3|
|Arts and Recreation Services||5||1.2||1.9||4||1.0||1.5||+1|
|Industry not classified||11||2.6||3.4||7||1.7||1.8||+4|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Flinders Council in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (105 people or 24.6%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (40 people or 9.4%)
- Public Administration and Safety (39 people or 9.2%)
In combination these three industries employed 184 people in total or 43.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Tasmania employed 5.3% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 14.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 7.8% in Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Flinders Council and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (24.6% compared to 5.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (9.4% compared to 14.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Retail Trade (6.8% compared to 10.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (3.3% compared to 6.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Flinders Council were for those employed in:
- Accommodation and Food Services (+9 resident workforce)
- Administrative and Support Services (+9 resident workforce)
- Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services (+8 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-8 resident workforce)