Northern Midlands Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Northern Midlands Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
- Excel full
- Word full
|Resident workers occupations|
|Northern Midlands Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||846||15.4||14.0||888||16.5||14.8||-42|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||549||10.0||12.4||540||10.0||11.1||+9|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||621||11.3||13.0||606||11.2||13.8||+15|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||485||8.8||6.4||476||8.8||6.7||+9|
|Inadequately described or not stated||96||1.7||1.7||85||1.6||1.5||+11|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Northern Midlands Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (890 people or 16.2%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (846 people or 15.4%)
- Labourers (797 people or 14.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,533 people in total or 46.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Tasmania employed 12.2% in Managers; 14.0% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 11.6% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Northern Midlands Council area and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (12.0% compared to 18.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (16.2% compared to 12.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (14.5% compared to 11.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (8.8% compared to 6.4%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Northern Midlands Council area increased by 100 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Northern Midlands Council area were those employed as:
- Professionals (+52 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-42 persons)
- Managers (+31 persons)
- Sales Workers (+22 persons)