City of Launceston
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in City of Launceston than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Northern Tasmania Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Launceston||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||3,600||13.1||8.0||4,078||14.4||7.1||-478||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,505||12.7||0.5||3,341||11.8||0.4||+164||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,407||12.4||15.4||3,732||13.2||17.2||-325||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,828||6.6||23.7||1,923||6.8||23.1||-95||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||430||1.6||1.4||376||1.3||0.4||+54||33000||P|
The Northern Tasmania region includes the following 8 LGAs; Break O'Day (M), Dorset (M), Flinders (M), George Town (M), Launceston (C), Meander Valley (M), Northern Midlands (M) & West Tamar (M).
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in City of Launceston in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (5,598 people or 20.3%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (3,600 people or 13.1%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (3,505 people or 12.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 12,703 people in total or 46.1% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Wholesale Trade employed 5.7% in Professionals; 8.0% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 0.5% in Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of City of Launceston and Wholesale Trade were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (20.3% compared to 5.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (12.7% compared to 0.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (6.6% compared to 23.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Sales Workers (11.4% compared to 22.3%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in City of Launceston decreased by 769 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in City of Launceston were for those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-478 people)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-325 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+164 people)
- Managers (-120 people)