Northern Midlands Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Manufacturing) Labourers in the Northern Midlands Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Northern Midlands Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Northern Midlands Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||111||20.1||26.9||158||26.6||29.4||-47|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||25||4.5||2.2||16||2.7||1.6||+9|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||33||6.0||6.9||48||8.1||7.5||-15|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||57||10.3||13.9||82||13.8||15.0||-25|
|Inadequately described or not stated||13||2.4||1.4||4||0.7||1.5||+9|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Northern Midlands Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (169 people or 30.6%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (111 people or 20.1%)
- Managers (64 people or 11.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 344 people in total or 62.3% of the resident workers (Manufacturing).
In comparison, Tasmania employed 23.7% in Labourers; 26.9% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 12.4% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Manufacturing) of the Northern Midlands Council area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) employed as Labourers (30.6% compared to 23.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (20.1% compared to 26.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) employed as Sales Workers (10.0% compared to 6.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (10.3% compared to 13.9%)
The number of resident workers (Manufacturing) in the Northern Midlands Council area decreased by 42 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Northern Midlands Council area were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-47 persons)
- Sales Workers (+25 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-25 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-15 persons)