City of Launceston
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more female resident workers professionals in City of Launceston than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Northern Tasmania Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Launceston - Females||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||673||4.9||5.9||663||4.8||6.1||+10||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||2,549||18.7||36.5||2,451||17.9||35.2||+98||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,578||18.9||5.7||2,823||20.6||5.3||-245||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||130||1.0||0.2||157||1.1||0.5||-27||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||164||1.2||--||130||0.9||0.6||+34||33000||P|
The Northern Tasmania region includes the following 8 LGAs; Break O'Day (M), Dorset (M), Flinders (M), George Town (M), Launceston (C), Meander Valley (M), Northern Midlands (M) & West Tamar (M).
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the female resident workers in City of Launceston in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (3,287 people or 24.1%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (2,578 people or 18.9%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (2,549 people or 18.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 8,414 people in total or 61.7% of the female resident workers .
In comparison, Accommodation and Food Services employed 0.4% in Professionals; 5.7% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 36.5% in Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the female resident workers of City of Launceston and Accommodation and Food Services were:
- A larger percentage of female resident workers employed as Professionals (24.1% compared to 0.4%)
- A larger percentage of female resident workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (18.9% compared to 5.7%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (18.7% compared to 36.5%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers employed as Labourers (9.5% compared to 22.4%)
The number of people in the female resident workers ] in City of Launceston decreased by 60 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the female resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in City of Launceston were for those employed as:
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-245 females)
- Professionals (+99 females)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+98 females)