Meander Valley Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers managers in Meander Valley Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Northern Tasmania Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Meander Valley Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,208||14.3||12.7||1,295||15.0||11.8||-87||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||992||11.7||26.0||907||10.5||25.4||+85||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,078||12.7||4.7||1,167||13.5||4.7||-89||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||708||8.4||0.9||719||8.3||--||-11||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||137||1.6||1.1||102||1.2||1.6||+35||33000||P|
The Northern Tasmania region includes the following 8 LGAs; Break O'Day (M), Dorset (M), Flinders (M), George Town (M), Launceston (C), Meander Valley (M), Northern Midlands (M) & West Tamar (M).
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Meander Valley Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (1,324 people or 15.7%)
- Professionals (1,245 people or 14.7%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,208 people or 14.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 3,777 people in total or 44.7% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Accommodation and Food Services employed 15.8% in Managers; 1.6% in Professionals; and 12.7% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of Meander Valley Council area and Accommodation and Food Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (14.7% compared to 1.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (12.7% compared to 4.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (11.7% compared to 26.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (11.6% compared to 25.0%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in Meander Valley Council area decreased by 159 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Meander Valley Council area were for those employed as:
- Sales Workers (-91 people)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-89 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-87 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+85 people)