City of Launceston
Local workers - Hours worked - Accommodation and Food Services
68.4% of Accommodation and Food Services local workers in the City of Launceston are employed part-time and 29.9% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the City of Launceston across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|City of Launceston - Accommodation and Food Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,017||36.3||33.9||940||34.5||31.6||+77|
|16 hours - 24 hours||443||15.8||14.7||410||15.1||14.5||+33|
|25 hours - 34 hours||366||13.1||13.2||330||12.1||13.0||+36|
|35 hours - 39 hours||304||10.9||10.6||295||10.8||10.6||+9|
|41 hours - 48 hours||138||4.9||5.2||144||5.3||5.4||-6|
|49 hours or more||230||8.2||10.1||254||9.3||10.9||-24|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Accommodation and Food Services workforce in the City of Launceston in 2016 compared to Tasmania within the City of Launceston shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 68.4% of the Accommodation and Food Services workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 29.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 65.7% and 32.8% respectively for Tasmania within the City of Launceston.
The major differences between the hours worked by the Accommodation and Food Services workforce in the City of Launceston and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (36.3% compared to 33.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (15.8% compared to 14.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (5.9% compared to 6.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (8.2% compared to 10.1%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the Accommodation and Food Services workforce in the City of Launceston between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+77 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+36 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+33 local workers)
- 40 hours (-26 local workers)