Northern Midlands Council area
Local workers - Hours worked - All industries
36.4% of All industries local workers in the Northern Midlands Council area are employed part-time and 62.1% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the Northern Midlands Council area across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Northern Midlands Council area - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||487||10.2||13.3||449||10.2||12.6||+38|
|16 hours - 24 hours||420||8.8||11.2||426||9.7||10.9||-6|
|25 hours - 34 hours||650||13.6||13.3||478||10.8||12.1||+172|
|35 hours - 39 hours||984||20.6||19.7||765||17.3||19.4||+219|
|41 hours - 48 hours||479||10.0||8.7||461||10.5||9.7||+18|
|49 hours or more||750||15.7||12.3||800||18.1||13.1||-50|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in the Northern Midlands Council area in 2016 compared to Tasmania within the Northern Midlands Council area shows that there was a lower proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.4% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 62.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.1% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania within the Northern Midlands Council area.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in the Northern Midlands Council area and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.2% compared to 13.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.8% compared to 11.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 41 hours - 48 hours (10.0% compared to 8.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (15.7% compared to 12.3%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in the Northern Midlands Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+219 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+172 local workers)
- 49 hours or more (-50 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+38 local workers)