Northern Tasmania Region
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In the Northern Tasmania Region, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Tasmania.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Northern Tasmania Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||11,370||20.6||22.6||10,177||18.0||19.8||+1,193|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||5,036||9.1||9.2||4,521||8.0||8.2||+515|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,005||1.8||1.8||1,053||1.9||1.8||-48|
|Certificate III & IV Level||13,060||23.7||24.0||13,110||23.1||23.1||-50|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,260||2.3||2.3||812||1.4||1.4||+448|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,693||3.1||2.9||2,232||3.9||4.1||-539|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Northern Tasmania Region in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 57.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 39.4% had no qualifications, compared with 59.9% and 37.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the Northern Tasmania Region and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (39.4% compared to 37.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (20.6% compared to 22.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (23.7% compared to 24.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (3.1% compared to 2.9%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the Northern Tasmania Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-3,033 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,193 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+515 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+448 local workers)