Northern Midlands Council area
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In the Northern Midlands Council area, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Tasmania.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Northern Midlands Council area - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||578||12.1||22.6||480||10.9||19.8||+98|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||410||8.6||9.2||326||7.4||8.2||+84|
|Certificate I and II Level||108||2.3||1.8||82||1.9||1.8||+26|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,172||24.6||24.0||1,120||25.4||23.1||+52|
|Certificate Level, nfd||91||1.9||2.3||57||1.3||1.4||+34|
|Inadequately described or not stated||173||3.6||2.9||198||4.5||4.1||-25|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Northern Midlands Council area in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 49.5% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 46.9% had no qualifications, compared with 59.9% and 37.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the Northern Midlands Council area and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (12.1% compared to 22.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (46.9% compared to 37.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (3.6% compared to 2.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (8.6% compared to 9.2%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the Northern Midlands Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+98 local workers)
- No qualification (+88 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+84 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+52 local workers)