City of Launceston
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In the City of Launceston, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Accommodation and Food Services.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Launceston - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||8,172||23.8||8.0||7,391||21.0||7.3||+781|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||3,240||9.5||4.3||2,901||8.3||4.0||+339|
|Certificate I and II Level||589||1.7||2.9||624||1.8||3.2||-35|
|Certificate III & IV Level||7,730||22.6||18.7||7,714||22.0||16.5||+16|
|Certificate Level, nfd||806||2.4||2.0||509||1.4||0.7||+297|
|Inadequately described or not stated||929||2.7||2.1||1,316||3.7||3.9||-387|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Launceston in 2016 compared to Accommodation and Food Services shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 59.9% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 37.4% had no qualifications, compared with 35.9% and 62.0% respectively for Accommodation and Food Services.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Launceston and Accommodation and Food Services were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (37.4% compared to 62.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (23.8% compared to 8.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (9.5% compared to 4.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (22.6% compared to 18.7%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Launceston between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-1,871 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+781 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+339 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+297 local workers)